I just wanted to show off my dashboard and the clutter I have on it. We have been getting unbelievably awful and unpredictable weather here in Germany that I sometimes forget what the sun looks like. I looked at my dashboard today and thought to myself, “What are those bright yellow things?!”
What sort of widgets would one find in my dashboard?
1. Weather – This is obvious. I usually keep at least 6 different places in there but I’ve had 8 at one time. At the topmost left of my weather widget is my current location’s weather (I’ve cloned out the city for my safety) and the rest are cities I just visited, am visiting soon, or thinking of visiting sometime. Right now, it has Copenhagen, Dresden, Stockholm, Berlin, and Zürich.
2. Clock – It wouldn’t hurt to know what time it is in different time zones. I have Manila, Washington D.C., Munich, and London.
3. Currency Converter – This is very helpful especially when I’m booking hotels. For example, in Denmark where I’m visiting soon, they use Danish Krone (DKK), while in Stockholm where I was just in, uses Swedish Krona (SEK).
4. Language Translator – I sometimes get comments on my Flickr stream that are written in different languages, and it’s easy to just copy and paste onto this translator. I am curious to know if there are any bad words said; one cannot assume that they’re all good comments.
5. Sticky Notes – I have such a bad memory, so it helps to have these notes around with one click of a button. They’re mostly photography and travel-related notes , like for instance (a) a quick way to remove chromatic aberration in your images, (b) a time formula when taking long exposures with an ND 110 filter, (c) a few CSS scripts for my website, and (d) names of difficult-to-pronounce streets in my next destination that I need to look up later on.
6. Calculator – I was never good at math, so it comes in handy.
I think computer dashboards or desktop tells a lot about the person who uses it. What do you have on yours?